Friday, December 2, 2011
I initially bought this metal Ertl 1/18th scale 1961 Cadillac to compliment the house and was excited to park it in the carport. You can see in the photo its the correct length (actually a little longer than needed) but it still is dwarfed by the house height wise. Curious about this anomaly, I put the Mystery machine in and it works much better scale wise. Unfortunately I think it dresses down the house, but there you go. It might have to be Mystery incorporated's headquarters after all. ;-)
Posted by Bloghost at 9:52 AM
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Posted by Bloghost at 10:21 PM
When I built my Emerson house and plugged all the wires together, with baited breath waited for there to be light and....nothing. After checking coneections, emailing Brinca Dada (and NEVER hearing back by the way), I finally decided to dig around inside the secret panel in the chimney. I swapped out the batteries and Voila! it worked. A solar paneled small house is pretty cool. I have since disconnected the two halves of the house because its just too damn heavy to move around when its together.
Posted by Bloghost at 10:06 PM
I was semi shocked when I saw the photo of the house online on some modernist website. It is very similar to the Brinca Dada Emerson house. The chair I had never seen before so I thought it was a strange design when it was included with the furniture line, until one day I found this green beauty online and now know the designers had a reason for it. The blue picture of stairs with Sarah Jessica Parker is from the movie, 'First Wives Club' and the stairs are strikingly similar so I thought it deserved an honroable mention in the post.
Posted by Bloghost at 1:52 PM
In this installment, you can see the roof warping for a terrible fit. One sliding door of the bedroom slides great, and the pocket sliding door is barely movable. It was almost like one of those red Japanese toris (sp) with the ends flipped up. I wish I could match the grey paint since the driveway was scratched in shipping and my tapping block chipped the grey foundation where the glass walls 'fit in'. From what I am being told I have the earlier lightwood incarnation of the Emerson house. You can see there is a burn or stain mark on the upstairs in front of the fireplace. Not happy...not happy.
Posted by Bloghost at 1:44 PM
|You can see my stacked stone wallpapered wall through the house.|
|The accent wall on the stair landing is a nice compliment to the house.|
|Up on a pedestal.|
|My factory layout.|
|I will be adding custom upgrades when time permits.|
|I bought a partial furniture set on feebly that included a red chair and sofa so my house has two of each. I do use the green roof as a pied a terre.|
Here is the initial set up of my very own Brinca Dada mocern home. Undoubtedly when time permits I will be adding more stuff to it. Most noticable is that I left the factory green protective covering on some of the windows and doors. I think it adds a nice, retro dimension to it absent in other Emerson houses.
Posted by Bloghost at 11:49 AM
Monday, August 1, 2011
I included this post for several reasons. One I wanted to highlight what a chore it was to build. I had read the poor reviews on ToysRus before ordering on Feebay so I knew I was in for a challenge. I am handy, allowes 2 days to construct and expected frustration. I still was not fully prepared for the ill-fitting parts and factory damage from inadequate packaging. You can see in the photo all the different tools I had to use in addition to the phillips head screwdriver indicated in the instructions. They were better (and funnier) than Ikea instructions but it was as if they knew what a b**** this is to assemble. WARNING: Do NOT use a hammer and tap block to get things (clear walls) in place. Since the wood is warped it is not going to be a perfect fit and chances are the largest sliding door will not slide easily after building. I tried to 'make' it fit and all I did was chip the grey floor paint along the outside edges. I did have to drill additional holes in the underside of the roof to make the screws fit for sturdy construction. Thank goodness I have a drill with all the bits. I can see angry comsumers taking it back in a big pile-o-pieces if they are not tool handy. The roof warping kind of made it not perfect as well, but overall the hosue got built in about a day and a half and the flaws are not that noticable. Naturally the lights did not work, another mood killer. I did manage to get them working which is outlined in another post.
Posted by Bloghost at 8:42 PM
Posted by Bloghost at 8:23 PM